whos the man?

To Answer All of Life's Hard Questions and Mess With People's Heads?

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Who Wants The Job?

Who among us wants the job of Elder? Not me. I couldn't imagine the struggle, pain, and grace they have shown through the last few weeks. Of course the pure sanctity of Christ in the end of this ordeal was a blessing.

As we (the Deacons) sat down for our meeting a couple of weeks ago and were told of the recent events I think I went through every emotion you can imagine in about 20 seconds, as I'm sure most of you did. Then I felt shame shame for myself for not noticing a family members pain. Then I heard of Jack Sullivan's statement to Hope during their meeting with the elders, "we failed you." Can you imagine the strength and love?

As we go through this we need to keep things in perspective. We need to look at our Elders for guidance and not second guess their actions. I'm a critical person (a shock I know!). I usually say what I think and try and convince you how right I am! It's not my best trait. At first I thought of a hand full of things "I would" have done differently if I had to address the Church, and then I thought. "Are you crazy!" Standing in front of the congregation with all of the emotions that had to be going through their minds. I'm amazed at how well Mr. Brumblow handled it and how articulate he spoke. God was truly in his heart. Jesse spoke from wisdom and it put my mind at ease. Do I agree with everything the ruling body does? No, but that's okay. We can't agree with everyone all the time, but we can submit. I found myself a few years ago questioning things about our church and wanting to know how things were done. It's okay to ask questins, how else will we learn anything, but instead of sitting around complaining about it I got involved. I worked with the Deacons and helped the youth group. Then God taught me a lesson and I was appointed a Deacon. Now I realize I should have kept my mouth shut! Seriously though it is a blessing, but you have to be ready for it.

As we meet in our small groups, meet for lunches, or whatever ideas will come to our minds. Without going into too much detail everyone can imagine or has heard certain questions that have arisen. From the dollar amount, to who has access to the accounts, but keep one thing in mind. If you have a question ask an officer. As you start to question the Elders in their decision remember "WE" elected them to their office. They were chosen by God. Also, look to The Book Of Church Order . In Chapter 27, it states: As there were in the Church under the law, elders of the people for the government therof, so in the Gospel Church, Christ has furnished others besides ministers of the Word with gifts and commission to govern when called thereunto, who are called ruling elders.

So as we go though the rest of our week and reflect pray for our church leaders (and Hope) and ask yourself, "Who Wants The Job?"

6 comments:

Crissy said...

You put into words my own thoughts. Great post.

Our elders are not perfect, but they love Christ and they love us. After Sunday, I trust them even more.

MattD said...

We are a true family. We may not always agree, but we are hre for one another. We need to submit to the ruling body. I feel as though thre are any other issues that need to be handled we are in good hands.

Anonymous said...

God knows I don't want the job! I really admire all our leaders. I told Burt how we touched on what happened at our small groups the other night with the Clayton's and how discipline is a reflection of love. I keep thinking of that over and over this week, along with my own sinful nature. It's a good week for prayer I think!

Kim said...

Wow. What insight. Great post. I heard how great it was before I read it! Your reputation precedes you, O Matt.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

everyone with whom i have spoken over the last week left church last week convicted of their own sin. i know that i was.

MattD said...

"o, Matt"...I like that...from now on thats how you must refer to me..Kimberly