whos the man?

To Answer All of Life's Hard Questions and Mess With People's Heads?

Friday, January 25, 2008

You Know You Grew Up In The '80's If...

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word SIKE.

2. You can sing the rap to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and can do the Carlton (white boy dance)

3. You know that 'WOAH' comes from Joey on Blossom (he had a good ole mullet going on)

4. If you ever watched 'Fraggle Rock'

5. It was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.

6. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head. (Melissa Mohr Style)

7. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school. (Have no idea what this is?)

8. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in aknot on the side.

9. You played the game 'MASH'(Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House) (NO Idea)

10. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it.

11. You know the profound meaning of ' WAX ON , WAXOFF' (How I got started in Martial Arts)

12. You wanted to be a Goonie.

13. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us...head-to-toe)

14. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell offand his cheeks shifted.

15. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf

16. You took lunch boxes to school...and traded Garbage Pailkids in theschoolyard.

17. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.

18. You still get the urge to say 'NOT' after every sentence.

19. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchangedhandmade friendship bracelets.

20. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. (Nope..I had the checkerd kind for Breakin!)

21. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying 'I know you are,but what am I?'

22. You remember 'I've fallen and I can't get up'

23. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.

24. You have ever played with a Skip-It.

25. You remember boom boxes and walking around with one on your shoulder likeyou were all that.

26. You remember watching both Gremlins movies.

27. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.

28. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.

29. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool...and don't evenflinch when people refer to them as 'NKOTB'

30. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on 'Saved ByThe Bell,' The ORIGINAL class.

31. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.

32. You just sang those words to yourself.

33. You still sing 'We are the World'

34. You tight rolled your jeans. (Because anything that flared was a bell bottom and that wasn't cool...until now)

35. You owned a bannana clip.

36. You remember 'Where's the Beef?'

37 You used to (and probably still do) say 'What you talkin' 'bout Willis?'

39. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head, aren't you!

Heather sent me that one...I wasn't a big Bon Jovi fan..I was more Whitesnake, Poison, and Van Halen...

11 comments:

Paige M said...

Funny! There was only a couple I didn't remember. Oh..we are getting old. You had to post this two days before my birthday, didn't you?

Kim said...

I wasn't allowed to watch PeeWee's (the whole 'he's a pedifile' thing) or Smurfs (the whole Gozumel thing). I did sing 'shot through the heart' (unfortunately) and I did have banana clips. I remember my Grandma buying me jelly shoes and being ecstatic. Daddy would never allow my sister and me to have them because they were 'a waste of money'. I remember the late eighties better. 1986 was the first year I really can remember liking fads (hello A Ha and 'Take On Me')and I started tight-rolling my jeans in 1988. What a terrible look that was! I remember big bangs, REM, WHAM (hello George Michael), hating NKOTB, loving skateboarders (and their cute hair...), Keds with no socks (from Dirty Dancing), horrid Neon shirts (HORRID), T&C surf design shoes (I think it was a FL thing), Guess Jeans (with the zippers on the side), and being put on restriction from hairspray for a month for using too much (Daddy got sick of stepping on the sticky bathroom floor).
Thanks for the memories!

Anonymous said...

I could relate to all of these. And now I am feeling very old. I had the big bangs rockin', the ones that looked like a big bear claw on the front of my head. I also was a huge fan of headbands, wrist warmers, jelly showes - then I moved on and got cooler with converse, the tshirts that changed colors with heat applied to them, tyedyed shirts, spandex with a huge shirt over them, and the clip that tied the shirt in a knot. I ROCKED the side ponytail - you know it! I had long hair so I would crimp it very often or put it in the side pony tail and curl it so it looked like this big fuzzy squirel tail on the side of my head. We called the tight roll on our jeans "pegging" them. And you had to wear Eastland shoes with them. I can very fondly remember when flare jeans were becoming popular and thinking to myself "No one is going to wear bell bottoms again". My brother had a mullet in the 80s, I wore perms quite often. And bubble suits. Very sad. I liked all those bands you mentioned. Poison kind of scared me, they looked like women? Brian loved Poison. Nope I enjoyed all the classic 80s bands -NKOB, Michael and Janet Jackson (Gimme a Beat!), Paula Abdul, Duran Duran, Madonna (her old school stuff I still love, but I wasn't allowed to watch her videos, she was a parents worst nightmare with that whole Papa Don't Preach song). I also liked the hair bands. My brother listened to them a lot - Guns N Roses, Metallica, and Cinderella. Mom once asked him if he was on drugs. Our poor parents. Ah, thanks for the flashback. Fun times.

MattD said...

We?..you the one getting old..never wants to go out..9 o'clock is bedtime..worried about leaving the kids...oh, wait that's Heather i'm thinking about!...

MattD said...

Just kidding babe...I know how you like to party>..woohoo..2 sips from a Margarita and you're ready to roll (for about 30 minutes and you're ready to sleep..

heather said...

I was soooo signing the Bon Jovi song in my head. Thanks maat I laughed out loud remembering.

Paige M said...

you'll ALWAYS be older than me, ha ha ha

MattD said...

Your only as old as you feel...

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

funny, funny! i'm pretty sure that i'm older than all of you. thanks for reminding me. i can not only sing that bonjovi song, i own the cassette... so there!

MattD said...

What's a cassette? Is that anything like VHS?

Ginger said...

That's hysterical! I can relate to all of these-I used "What's you talkin' bout Willis" on Cullen the other day!