whos the man?

To Answer All of Life's Hard Questions and Mess With People's Heads?

Monday, June 16, 2008

Not How I Envisioned Spending Fathers Day!

It started off well. I slept late and the boys were excited about giving me their gifts. We ate breakfast, took showers, and left for the ball park. And that was the end of Fathers Day.
All Stars is killing me! We had to play 4 games yesterday. We won our first but lost our second and had to play our way out of the losers bracket. We lost to Hayden. Heather's step brother has a son on that team. So Jakes was excited about playing his sort of cousin. We played Springville and beat them, played Hayden again and won that time, and made it into the championship game. Unfortunately we had to play them twice. The first game we beat (Morris) them 20-3, but the second it went 8 innings and won by 1 point (14-13). It was tiring. Jake had a pretty good day. His batting was inconsistent, but his defense was great. He had 2 pop flys, but he threw 3 kids out from the fence to 3rd base. Never had a bounce, all were on a dime. So we won the championship. We celebrated for about 10 minutes, and then we all drug ourselves home to get some sleep.
Jake had an opportunity to win the game with a runner on 3rd, 2 outs, and him at bat. He had 2 great cuts on the ball but it was high, and on his next swing he hit a hard drive to the SS. The kid made a great play and got him out at 1st. We held them the next inning and Dutton Whitfield drove in the winning run. I found myself praying that Jake could have made that play to win the game. It was Fathers Day afterall. Then I felt so guilty. Why? Should I not pray for my son to win the game? I should be happy that he had a good game, and was happy that they won. But my pride got in the way. Later Heather told me when Jake got out and came over to the dug out she was talking to him thinking he was upset because he could have won it, and he had this goofy grin and said "Mom I think we're going to win". Now time has expired and we have to hold them to no runs, and he's happy thinking we have another chance. Don't we all wish we had that type of optimism? I'm all upset because "I" didn't have my son win it right there, and he's happy we still have a shot.
I need to pray for some of that optimism and less pride. Although, I'll still probably pray for prideful things I know God loves me no matter how selfish I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, when ball is over with you and the family need to take a nice vacation!

It was good to see Heather last Tuesday. I love ya'lls house, very nice.

MattD said...

I'm about to make some of the parents and other coaches mad and take a vacation during all of this...we're leaving right after district and returning before regional.