whos the man?

To Answer All of Life's Hard Questions and Mess With People's Heads?

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What Summer Vacation?

It's that time of year when the kids are out of school ready to have some fun and play and goof off and relax....until they choose All Stars. So Jake's summer vacation lasted about, oh 1 week. We've already started playing in one invitational tournament (odenville) and will finish it this weekend, and then we go to Pinson for their Invitational Tourney, which is always a good one. They usually have some of the top teams you'll face later (plus the great hospitality room).
Then the real fun starts we have district June 20th, from there (if we're one of the top 4) we go to the Area Tourney in Ft Payne (I think) which starts July 4th (which means I'll be coming home from our vacation a day early), and then if we place in the top 2 we go to state which is July 11th, and it's (for some reason) in Armore, TN. If you are really good you can make it to the World Series in Southaven, MS July 25th.
Long story short I'm proud of Jake for making All Stars again, but it's killing me. I'm tired from the practice and the games (I coach 3rd base), and lack of sleep. So, I know that poor kid is and it hasn't even started yet. But he's having fun, and learning that you have to step up your game if you want to be truly good at anything. Especially in a harder sport like baseball or football. It's just as much mental as physical.
Adam, (luckily) season is over and is happy doing his thing. He hasn't quite figured out why Jakes is still playing and he isn't. They actually do have All Star's but he's 4 playing in the 5 year old group. Plus he'd rather be at VBS. He's having so much fun at Cedar Grove that it's kind of hard to calm him down at night when he gets home. Heather's been taking him while I take Jake to practice.
Hopefully, we'll get our uniforms in this week for the tournament. Which leads me to another point. If anyone would like to help out our little All Star adventure please let me know. We are sending out letters to everyone we know asking for a SMALL donation. We have to raise around $5,000 and we are asking everyone we know to donate $10 . Jake and I both have to have uniforms that are going to run around $130+/- a piece. Plus the possible travel expenses. So please consider helping us out with a little cash....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I've forgotten all about these days. My brother played baseball for many years. I had forgotten all about the travel and the expense and lack of sleep. I guess we get to look forward to that eventually. Glad to hear he made allstars though, quite an accomplishment! Cedar Grove has a cool program for kids. I wanted to send Brandon there for MDO but the waiting list was atrocious

j_webb said...

You can put me down for a 10 spot.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

remind me sunday to give you $10.

MattD said...

Woo hoo..my first solicated $10 (that I don't feel the least bit shameless about)..

MattD said...

Thanks btw